Kothimbir Vadi are basically
coriander fritters. Here the chickpea flour batter having coriander leaves and
spices is steamed first and then cut into wedges, later to be fried till crisp.
The Kothimbir Vadis can be steamed in a cooker or pan like we do for khaman
dhokla. But I steamed the batter in the microwave oven. I pan fried the vadis
instead of shallow or deep frying.
When one has to make steamed snacks like vadis or dhoklas, one should prefer the microwave
oven. It is less of the pots and pans to clean and is hassle free. plus quick
If you don’t want to fry, you can have the steamed vadis as they are. They still
taste delicious. But frying them makes them crisp & the texture as well as the
taste changes for the better.
One can always have these vadis with tomato sauce. It can also be
had with coconut chutney or curd. In Mumbai in many Maharashtrian sweet shops,
one can gets to snack the kothimbir vadis.
So when you crave for a quick delicious snack or finger food, do try this
Kothimbir Vadi – Maharashtrian Kothimbir Vadi
- 1 or 1½ cups of chopped coriander/cilantro leaves
- 2 cups of besan - chickpea flour (add more if
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp ginger chilli paste
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ cup roasted crushed peanuts (optional)
- 1¼ or 1½ cups water
- a pinch of hing
- salt as required
- Mix together all the ingredients with water to
form a smooth and thick batter.
- Apply oil at the base and sides of a microwave
safe cooker or bowl.
- Add the batter mixture in the microwave safe bowl
- Cover it with its lid or a microwave safe lid.
- Microwave on high for 3 mins or till done.
- The mixture should be cooked and firm.
- Insert a knife or toothpick and if it comes out
clean, the vadi is cooked well.
- If after 3 mins, the batter has yet not cooked,
then microwave for a minute or two.
- Let it cool.
- Then remove the steamed cake on a tray.
- Cut it into diamond shaped or square shaped
- Shallow fry or deep fry or pan fry in hot oil
till crisp and browned.
- Serve Kothimbir Vadi hot with green chutney or